Thursday, October 14, 2010

Arrival

Yeaaaaahhhh mannnnn.  I arrived - safe and sound.  Woke up at 4:30AM to take the taxi to YYZ - Terminal 1 and at approximately 11:30AM, I landed in Norman Manley International Airport.  Similar to what the past couple of weeks has been like, I didn't have much time to think or feel about what was happening as I got up for the airport.  In a blur of events, it feels like I just finished training in Ottawa, hopped onto a taxi, checked in and departed for my flight via Air Jamaica. 

Next thing I know, I'm in 30 degree (celsius) weather, and realize.. "this is what the next six months is going to feel like - not bad!"  Of course, the downside is I don't think I'll get much snowboarding action until next season.  But it'd be great if I could hear stories or see pictures of others on the slopes. And I don't know if I'll find any volleyball action either, but I'll have to do some digging around.

Even within the first day of arriving, I've seen a bit of what I've been told to expect.  Took a walk to absorb some of the sights, sounds, and smells; on my journey for the day, some locals in a van passed by and yelled "mista Chin!" - as I have been told many asians are called here; and my first meal on Jamaican soil involved the consumption of my new friend Red Stripe.  To those curious, our Canadian counterpart bottle of Red Stripe advises us to "Drink responsibly", while this bottle in particular which I had, did not.

P.S. It was great seeing many friends and family prior to departure.  Canadian Thanksgiving having just past, I am thankful of all the great people I know and love that make life in Toronto, Canada a place called home.  Keep in touch everyone!  If there's any skill testing questions sent my way, I'll do my best to answer them.
 
Just arrived
My temp home - Indies Hotel
Red Stripe

9 comments:

  1. Run dem tings, beware da chichi mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much for not being much of a blogger! you're doing very good! keep it up! Glad to hear you're safe! we'll send you pix of boarding and photoshop you in !

    haha mista chin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look forward to the rest of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sky is soooooo blue!!! Wow.

    Sounds like you're off to a good start (: can't wait for the food adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mista Chin! hahaha cool. the streets look safer than i imagined.

    - jammin

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) You actually left!!

    Hahaha. I think we have the same suitcase.
    Why do you have two beds - are you sharing w/ someone??

    Take lots of pics and blooog lots!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. who's your roomie, mista chin? =P

    a nice cool bottle of red stripe is a good complement to your first meal in hot jamaica, mon =)

    - aug

    ReplyDelete
  8. alan mon! :) sounds like you will have an awesome time there! good for you. have fun and remember don't have too much fun ;)

    respec'! \m/
    lol

    ariel

    ReplyDelete
  9. BC - Lol. Dude, you should try and search out some jerk lamb (if you like lamb). That stuff's good.
    Toria - We will see! Take pics of your new board and gear too once you get it.
    Ben - Actually a lot of traffic here. I didn't show the pic of where the cars crowded.
    Jeannie / Aug - Visit to find out, there's an extra bed here. :P

    ReplyDelete