Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rain

I don't know if it's a regular occurrence for this time of year, if its year-round, or if it's just coincidence.  But right around 4PM every day, for the past few days, there's been a consistent downpour.  It's been as dependable as the sun.  Yesterday I made the mistake of trying to walk and explore just before 4PM and on my way back, sure enough, I got caught in one of these.  Luckily I didn't bring my laptop out so I could just let myself get soaked as I continued to walk in the rain, like I was in some kind of pop music video. 

I've never been much of a rain person.  But each day when the downpour kicks in, it's a comfortable and relaxing time of day where I can take a moment to update this blog, and catch up on my reading.  While doing this, I'll open up the door of my hotel  room to take in the sounds of the rain and some fresh air.  After the sudden downpour, and with it, the release of humid air, the evening then becomes a very nice time to go out and find some dinner.  It's a great sequence of events that I could get used to.  But then, soon I'll have to start working, and I'll be inside the whole time. Boo.  Sometimes the rain does cause flash floods because the drainage around some parts of the city can't handle the sudden downpour.  This is again, Boo.

Today we went around the city to find some apartments to rent.  At 7:30AM we woke up to check the classifieds in the Jamaica Gleaner.  The paper, as I've been told, will update with new rent listings at 12AM Sunday, but much to our chagrin, a lot of the good places were already gone by the time we started calling!  It's either people started calling really early, or right after the postings at 12AM. Either way, the day didn't start out well for our band of four.  As the day went on though, we managed to find some good potentials with the help of our awesome taxi driver.  There's a couple of places in particular where I'll hopefully get a lease signed and moved into within the next few days.  Only downside (or plus side) is that one is unfurnished.  So my hunt may soon turn from living space to furniture.  But that'll come another day.

Ackee and saltfish with plantains and yams - breakfast!  I was hungry and didn't remember to take a picture until I already started, haha.

At the top of Indies Hotel

Just outside my room

Reading material

1 comment:

  1. :) I like how you're suddenly transported into pop videos as you're walking down the street.
    Hahahaha. That's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete