Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Today, some of the volunteers went to the beach of Fort Clarence.  It's one of the few beaches you have to pay to use here (small fee).  Still, could not find volleyball though - I'm now 0 for 2.  It's a nice little place, where we had some amazing fry fish. Prior to coming here, fish wasn't exactly my favourite food - and it still isn't.  For those who know me, I'm lazy when eating so picking out the bones is a lot of unecessary hassle in my opinion.  Since coming here however, I've had two fish dishes where they serve the fishes whole, with head and tail.  And I enjoyed it!  Figure if I'm here, I might as well try some.

When we were thinking about the trip home, after a nice day at the beach, it turned out to be a bit distressing.  Rain clouds were ominously hovering overhead.  The bus going back to New Kingston comes infrequently, with the last and only return trip available to us being 4:30.  And finally, we had no idea where to catch this very crucial bus. So at about 4 o'clock when we'd had enough sun, we we tried to find our way home.  At the exit, we asked the gate attendant where to catch the bus.  Then suddenly, someone tells us that they can give us a ride and to hop on in!  So the guys hop into the back of the pickup truck and the ladies get in the back seat - and they drove us all the way back to where we had to be.  The ride was a bit bumpy, but it was free!  Also, it was pretty cool to ride in the back of the pickup - being a city boy I've never been able to travel this way before.  Turns out the couple who drove us lived in Canada for 30 years and went to Albert Campbell C.I. - what an amazingly small world. 

Beyond the crime and violence and the warnings to not walk alone at night (which I ended up doing after picking up an early dinner, so it wasn't too late), the people here are also very warm and friendly. Probably due in part to the strong Christian values in its society.  It's the place with the most churches per capita in the world.  All of this makes for an interesting dichotomy that keeps you on your toes but also provides experiences that, where if you immerse yourself, make it hard not to love the place. 

Next, prepare for another week of work.  Happy halloween everyone!

Fort Clarence Beach

Going home!

4 comments: