Tuesday, October 19, 2010

City Adventure

During the day, I stopped by the Devon House, which is a mansion built by one of the first black millionaires of Jamaica.  It now stands as a heritage site which people can tour.  There's also a place to eat ice cream, have a drink, or people can just sit outside in the shade and play.  It's a nice, local place to be, so I made my stop there.

Next thing I know, I'm trying to decipher Jamaican patois while talking to a local who approached me on my rock in the shade.  Man, was it hard to understand what he was saying.  I could pick up a word here and there, but he really had to break it down for me (I have six months to at least understand).  Eventually, we exchange numbers and say we can link up later.  I agree to a meet up later in the evening.  All of a sudden, I'm thinking, what if this isn't such a good idea..  How much do I know about this guy.  I can't even understand half the things he's saying!  I prepare myself for the worst, fully expecting it could be a set up (as could happen anywhere).  I would've been more comfortable if he was my neighbour, but he's just some guy who sold papers that I met in the park.  I left everything except for essentials in the hotel room so I could prepare for a quick getaway if need be.  If something happened, I was ready to run like Usain Bolt, only much.. slower. 

In the end, as pumped as I was, nothing happened.  We went to Half-Way Tree Park, which is another open area in the city where locals - families, teens, and couples alike were just hanging out.  There were rooftop parties, gambling stalls and street vendors on the streets, all apparently, legally.  No stores were open and there was no big night market - people were just out and about on a Monday night of the long weekend. 

While in training, I was told to go out at night with a local first (Kingston isn't much of a tourist destination); I figure I would go with one of the volunteers who had been here for a bit.  Instead, I got an early tour and it turned out to be a good way to see a bit of the city.  Adventure in the city? Check.

4 comments:

  1. what the local just approached you and gave you his number. sounds so shady man. The locals there probably closer to Usain Bolt than you so not sure if you'll be able to outrun them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, well we talked for a while before that Ben - he seemed like an alright guy. Don't worry, I only needed to have one risky adventure.. lol. Now I can move on to sun and beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait...why are you getting a GUY's number? Fail! haha...Good Stuff man!

    -Kev

    ReplyDelete