Thursday, October 21, 2010

On borrowed internet from the neighbours. 
I moved all my stuff to the new place.  It’s a nice place that’s a little out of the way, but it’s more than enough space for me, and was fully furnished.  I’m sitting with a fan on but no A/C to save electricity.  The landlady thought I would be using something like $5,000 JMD of electricity a month (it’s in our lease contract that if I use more than $7,000 JMD of utilities, I’m paying extra) – I’m out to prove her wrong and my goal is to see if I can use like $2,000 JMD a month in electricity.  Electricity is a bit of a big deal here because it seems to be relatively expensive.  It was tough trying to get the landlady to agree to putting in utilities into the rent price (CUSO-VSO will only cover base rent and not extra utilities).  This is probably to prevent people from blasting A/C all day - it's definitely tempting to do so.
I took a visit to the Mega Mart after dropping off all my stuff.  It’s essentially a Costco / Walmart for Jamaicans.  I’d say it feels more like a Costco, but without having to get a membership.  I realize I need things clean now and I attribute that to someone at work (D&T).  The first things I buy is not food or drinks, but cleaning supplies.  I’m going to make this place squeaky clean by midnight.  I took a second visit to the Mega Mart to buy some cooking supplies.  After making the place clean, I'm going to set up to be an iron chef.  :D
Next mission will be to fill the fridge with Red Stripe.
In between my place and the Mega Mart, there's a place called Lucky Chinese Restaurant.  It looked completely empty inside but it was open.  I was craving some Chinese food so I went in.  Boy oh boy, broccoli beef with rice never tasted so good.  I'll be back there again.
Home for the next six months.

Kitchen and dining area
Living area

The bedroom  :-)

5 comments:

  1. yay you're alive and a clean freak (; It's good though, you don't want any bed bugs... lol

    It's only been a week and you're craving chinese food already? hehe You're going to be their best customer and maybe they'll take you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow coool look at the size of the TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... btw, got my board! :D send u pic soon! ITS PINK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that D&T person someone super special! I think so!! Place looks better than I expected, but I wouldn't survive lol.

    13 x 21 = ?

    Can you do that without a calculator?

    JPai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, haha yeah, the owner talks to me in Chinese now!

    Ben, TV's great here, there's always a movie on if I'm bored. But I'm cutting the cable, so the TV's gonna just be decoration soon.

    Toria, which board?! Aside from the colour pink.. Can't wait to see it in action.

    JP, 273? I don't think you would survive here either, haha. In that way you're special :P

    ReplyDelete