Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Market

This morning I visited Coronation Market in Downtown Kingston where they sell everything from groceries, household supplies, shoes and more.  The area of the main Coronation Market burnt down in May, around the time where they were in conflict with Dudus, the gang / drug lord in nearby Tivoli Gardens. Because of how close it is to Tivoli Gardens, one of the recently more volatile areas, I brought my keys, phone, and limited cash only.  I went with one of the other CUSO-VSO volunteers, Varun, which was good because a) he's a good guy and b) he knew where the market was and so we didn't have to look lost.

At the time I visited, it appeared the market has recovered since then, though I can't really say since I didn't see it before the incursion.  From what I could tell, the place was lively, filled with both vendors and shoppers.  Downtown Kingston is definitely one of the most lively and vibrant parts of the city.  It's where all the cheap goods are (in part due to Chinese wholesalers), so it's no surprise that the weekend after payday everyone's out and about stocking up on cheap stuff.  In the market itself, you could see all manners of local fruits and vegetables, and the food looked fresh - moreso than Fresh Approach (my local supermarket).  Most importantly, food was cheap enough to make up for the time and bus fare to go downtown.  I think I have a new found appreciation for markets.

2 comments:

  1. What did you buy?! You need to put those Asian bargaining skills to test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scallions, small yellow onions, garlic and bok choi, I think that was the list. I didn't bargain, I brought a Jamaican so we wouldn't have to haha!

    ReplyDelete