Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm alive still.  Just haven't updated because there's not much going on.  Over the weekend, some volunteers went out of town to Strawberry Fields.  But since I am sick, I was staying in to recover.  Did a bit of grocery shopping and cooking.  Even though I lived away from home for university, I'd have to say that this is probably one of my first cracks at what I would call cooking, and it tasted decent!  Except I failed at making a big batch of rice, which resulted in me throwing most of it out.

Success!

I've started a small list of things to write about when I run out of stuff to blog - so seeing as how this was a pretty low-key weekend, I figure I might as well use it.  Today, I'll talk about... public transportation. 

If you know where you're going in this town, it's actually not too hard to get around.  But if you have no clue, it's like a zoo.  It's hard enough to find out what buses go where, but schedules, if there are any at all, are loosely adhered to.  As a traveller, you have several options - you could take the JUTC buses, which are like the official comfortable buses, or you could take coasters (aka minibuses), and finally you have the option of taxis, either route or "regular" taxis.

Most modes of transportation can be taken for about $1 CDN / US per ride.  This includes the JUTC buses, coasters, and route taxis.  These are the alternatives to getting somewhere along any given "route", again only applies if you know what routes you are taking.  But they're all very different. 

JUTC buses - $80 JMD
The JUTC buses usually just make stops at bus stops, have plenty of seating and are relatively well climate controlled.  The drivers of these vehicles are usually quite safe and tame. Not the fastest way of getting around, but usually quite safe and reliable.

Coasters - $80 JMD
I think the most interesting mode of travel.  To be honest, I don't know if they have designated stops, I'll usually wait close to a normal bus stop, and they'll pick up passengers whenever they can.  Each one has a conductor and a driver.  The conductor will try to corral as many people into the bus as humanly possible, and collect fares.  Literally, they pack these minibuses - think Tokyo subway during rush hour.  Except you're not on a subway, you're on the road, and the drivers can be crazy - their sole focus is on the road, which is why each coaster has a conductor.  These guys weave in and out of traffic, honking at any and all cars in their way so while you may or may not have a good hold on a railing, everybody's swaying at the whims of the driver.  To get on, you have to listen to the conductor saying what route they're taking, then if the coaster is on the road, you run and hop on.  The neat part is that they've usually got upgraded sound systems and will be blaring music while you're on their crazy ride.  Not the safest way of getting around, but probably the most available mode of transport on major routes.  Ironically enough, because they're so easy to catch, they're generally what I end up taking, haha. 

Route taxis - $80 JMD
Route taxis are taxis that'll run up and down a specific route.  They'll honk at you to ask if you need a ride and if you wave them down, they'll stop to pick you up.  I've found these guys to be generally safe, although it's not a private ride as you'll be sharing the taxi with other passengers.  Then again, at least you get a seat.  Pretty good way to travel if you ask me.  Only problem is when you're at the gathering point of all the taxis, you'll have probably a hundred different drivers shouting at you to take their taxi.  I haven't really adjusted to this part yet because I have a hard time deciphering what they're saying, so I'm not such a huge fan of these major taxi stops.

Regular taxis - about $300 JMD and up
The final way to get around is regular taxis.  These are most of the guys you can find on the street, or you can call in advance, that'll pick you up and take you to a set destination.  They aren't the most expensive in comparison to taxi fares around the world, but they're still pricier than any of the above three options.  Some of these taxi drivers are also mixed in with the route taxis in the gathering spots (usually in high traffic destination areas), only adding my jumbled confusion.  Not the cheapest, but convenient and comfortable. 

You have to be careful about which taxis you take though.  For public transport, only the vehicles with red license plates are certified.  Otherwise, you're just getting into a vehicle of some random person taking money for driving you around.  Although I've heard some of these drivers are alright too, they're not regulated nor insured.  Some taxi drivers are also pretty crazy like the coaster drivers too.

Random people
Actually, I lied, there was one more way of travel.  Sometimes, like when we came back from the beach, randoms will offer to give a ride.  Probably not something I would do on my own or if I'm within the city due to already cheap bus fares, but it's nice to get a free ride every once in a while.

*Prices may vary, these are based solely on what I've seen in and around Kingston.

5 comments:

  1. looks like you bought a wok? ha ha... nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only a non-stick fry pan, I picked up the first, cheapest, non-stick thing I could find. Bad picture. But I basically use it like a wok :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Not the fastest way of getting around, but usually quite safe and reliable."

    Sounds like the TTC, save the reliable part!

    Making rice - This might help - http://www.ehow.com/how_4836445_rice-pot.html..I just don't add the salt and add maybe 1/2 inch over the rice..key is low heat. They mean business when they say leave the lid on, otherwise you'll be waiting another 12 min for steam to build up inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe you blogged about the different buses/taxis ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garry: I bought a bigger bowl instead lol.
    Toria: Thanks for reading :P I'll blog about work soon enough, once I figure out what exactly I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete