Thursday, November 4, 2010

I think if there's a way to get sick while in 30 degree weather, I'll find a way.  After recovering from my longstanding cough back in Toronto, I think I've managed to enter the same sick mode.  It's currently at the sore throat, runny nose stage.  I took the day off to try and curtail this thing. 

On the plus side, the tropical storm is tame so far as Jamaica has been spared a direct hit.  I still have electricity and running water and hence didn't have to resort to canned tuna and candles - no romantic dinner tonight! Instead, and this is something I feel especially accomplished about, I managed to steam white rice without a rice cooker.  I used a pot and a small tin plate and bowl; it wasn't pretty, but it worked!  My white rice was then accompanied by chicken and spinach..  I still don't have a full stock of food supplies here, haha.

Back to an unfortunate note, although the tropical storm has turned away from Jamaica, as of now, it is on a direct course to Haiti.  For a place that has already been devestated by an earthquake, poor sanitation, and a cholera outbreak, one must wonder if this is some kind of cruel joke.  For those religious, send your prayers for safety and protection.  Otherwise, let us hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment