Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Christmas time

Christmas is a big deal in Jamaica.  Kingston does have a lot of cars, but apparently the traffic jams in the before and after work are especially bad around Christmas time.  This traffic was picking up when I first arrived.. in mid-October. 

It really hasn't felt like Christmas that much during this time but it's starting to now as they're puttuing up the decorations and lights.  Some of the plazas and public spaces are shaping up now.  I have yet to hear much Christmas music, which is when I really start to feel like it's that time of year again.  That being said, I'm not sure if they actually play the holiday music here, or if I'll even recognize it.  For all I know the reggae and dancehall I'm hearing right now on the bus could be Christmas carols!

The unfortunate part about this time of year is hearing how people try to make ends meet.  There's an apparent spike in crime and robberies durnig this time of year.  And I've heard it in the locals' warnings to me.  Numerous times I've heard stories telling me to really be cautious, only walk around with as much money as I need, don't stop for strangers, etc.  In a way, I guess it increases my anticipation now for Christmas to arrive. Definitely going to have to be a little extra careful where I go.

Interesting note to some, I made a visit to the Deloitte (my employer) office in Kingston, Jamaica.  We have two offices here, one in Kingston and one in Montego Bay.  It was an adventure to get there as I walked along some small neighbourhood streets that probably don't see any tourist traffic.  Yes, I walked.  To be honest, I didn't know if I'd make it, but as soon as I got there, the staff and management there were all warm and accomodating as most Jamaicans I've met have been.  I got a bit of an office tour, then made sure to taxi to the nearest bus stop for the trek home. As much as I'd like to think I can do anything, after making the walk once, I realized there's certain things that are best avoided. I'll start the little extra careful..... now.

3 comments:

  1. hey, i'm gonna be in montego bay around Jan 14-16. How far is that from kingston?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a few hours drive. A little more by bus. Are you doing a cruise that stops there? What's your itinerary like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know. But we're staying at the Iberostar resort in montego bay. It's a company trip so we'll be at the resort pretty much the whole time. Would be neat if it was close to where you were.

    ReplyDelete