Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

For all wondering about how Christmas is like in Jamaica, it's warm.  There's not going to be a white Christmas here anytime soon.  But also, the people and the environment is warm.  Over the past couple of days, I've been offered rides to work as I was walking to the bus stop.  The first person, I don't think I knew and the offer was only to take me half-way, so I politely declined and opted for my regular coaster ride.  The second person was my building manager who was headed downtown and so would pass right by work.  I took up this offer and got to work that day on time, where I originally intended to sleep a little extra and get there a little late.  Yes, intentionally tried to sleep in and be late.  Still, another volunteer and I were the first ones to arrive and so, locked out, we waited for an actual employee to arrive, which wasn't until another 30 mins later.

This brings me to the next point about Jamaica holiday times, it's festive.  As in many places, people will decorate their homes, and lights will be put up all around the city.  But moreso, the city turns into party central leading up to Christmas day.  The results are that people get into work later and leave work earlier.  And while people are at work, there isn't much mood to get work done.  Christmas Eve, is supposed to be the "Grand Market" day with food, music, dancing and vendors in all the hot spots of town.  I'll check this out later today probably.  Then Christmas day itself is quieter, spent with family, friends and food.  I'm sure church is also thrown somewhere in the mix here too.  In terms of food and drink during Christmas, sorrel becomes the drink of choice.  Made from dried sorrel (a meadow plant), ginger, and other ingredients such as cinnamon, cloves, and orange peel, extra flavour can be added with a dose of wine or rum.  It's nice refreshing (as long as the ginger isn't too strong for me).  Overall, it's a great time to be in the city and having passed the rainy / stormy season, the weather is fantastic.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes via e-mail, phone, FB, and comments.  Appreciating it all the more when here in Jamaica.  Respec' and bless.  Hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment