Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Morning

Kingston, Jamaica.  It's straightforward, in your face, full of life and bursting with personality.  The roads are jammed with taxi and bus drivers who seem to compete for who can go the fastest and talk with each other in a language of honks, even in gridlocked traffic; here, it's the bicyclists that come out as surprise winners.  As you walk down the street, you pass by higglers, bag juice and snack sellers, car phone charger sellers, all legitimate or otherwise, and everyone seems to be yelling at each other, at you, or at no one in particular, it's hard to tell.


And he rested on the seventh day..
Then you wake up on a Sunday morning.  You decide to step outside and there's only a few cars on the road.  You don't hear honking horns, and there's not too many people out on the road.  You walk around the neighbourhood and observe peace and quiet.

It's neat how different the city feels.  Today, as I walked to my local grocery store, it felt like I was back at home. Kingston is definitely a city of two faces.  Actually three faces - as a fellow volunteer, Dom, has pointed out, the city at night is again, decidedly different.  Perhaps it's because everyone's at Sunday service, or recovering from Saturday night's parties.  The city itself feels relaxed.  And I quite enjoy it.  We all need a day of rest every now and then to rejuvenate and recharge.

Iced tea on the balcony.  Too bad the grill's there

Buns
It took me five and a half months, almost the entirety of my stay, but I found a Chinese bakery, or rather, the bakery found me.  As I visited my local grocery store, lo and behold, inside, they were selling these buns.  A lady comes in every Sunday to sell, and I only have gone on Saturdays or during the week.  Mission accomplished.

1 comment: