Monday, March 28, 2011

Stone Love

East Japanese Restaurant 6th Anniversary Customer Appreciation Party @ Stone Love

On a Sunday night, a friend mentioned that there were tickets to a customer appreciation party the next night, being Monday night.  The host was East Japanese Restaurant.  Having eaten there once, I appreciated the food they have there for sure.  If I ever wanted to eat some good sushi, I know where to go.  However, with their price point, I find I don't have cravings for raw fish all that often here.

In any case, regardless of how much or how little I personally frequent the restaurant, someone frequented the restaurant enough to get some extra tickets to the event.  I figure, even if it's a Monday night, I'll hang out, and if there's a chance I get to have some more of their food, why not?!  We drove to the parking lot of one of the plazas I pass by frequently, and I thought, I don't remember seeing any type of venue here...  And it was true, there wasn't.  Instead, we hopped in a shuttle bus going to a spot a block down the street.  Literally, a block.  Only in Jamaica.  After the night was over, we walked back to the parking lot and it took us no longer than two minutes.  But still, we were shuttled over.

Turned out to be a nice spot, that had a good vibe.  The free food and open bar might have had something to do with that.  What I think was the neatest thing though was the mutual respect and appreciation the two cultures have for each other.  Jamaicans and Japanese.  The Japanese are probably some of the most frequent tourists to Kingston, which may be like a mecca of music and culture for them, but it really isn't the tourist hot spot.  Jamaicans I think are just very warm, welcoming, and supportive to those who arrive with an open mind and embrace what the country has to offer.  A simply yet effective gesture of this support was a donation box that was passed around in support of the quake.  This night occurred shortly after the earthquake so it was nice to see how in-tune and supportive everyone was being by helping out in any way they can.

That night was really cool.  But these days, even the nights are starting to get hot.  I thought that I was starting to adjust to the heat midway through my placement here - thought I was starting to live like a Jamaican.  Now I realize that I just happened to have some good timing.  Even though the weather doesn't fluctuate too much, i.e. no snow, the difference in temperature is definitely noticeable from the winter to the summer.  I look forward to cooler weather again when I get back to Toronto, which is in less than three weeks time.  But I always say that if I complain about the cold, I can't complain about the heat.  So who am I to complain!

The evening before our Blue Mountain hike (see previous post)


No comments:

Post a Comment