Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some days while I'm walking the streets of Kingston, I start thinking I really enjoy being here.  Walking to and from Crossroads everyday between the bus stop and the office, I'll pass by the usual taxi drivers and stall operators (I use the term stall pretty loosely here, some vendors have a physical stall, some have a trolley or a cart, and some just have a tarp, which they lay on the ground to display their merchandise, which could be as varied as DVD's or clothes).  I appreciate the fact that there are people who aren't outside only to get from point A to point B.  There are vendors selling, there are taxi drivers yelling, there are people just hanging out and striking up conversations.  There's something lively about it all and it's refreshing to see since it's quite the opposite from what I would experience getting to and from work in Canada, i.e. bumper to bumper traffic.

There's also the directness of Jamaicans whereby they won't usually hide what's on their minds.  In an interaction between Jamaicans, they could look aggressive like they're yelling at each other, but in the next moment, their tone could take a 180 degree turn and they'd be laughing like they were best friends.  Sometimes when I'm looking for my coaster to go home, the conductor or "'ducta" will try to physically put me into their coaster, but if you tell them where you're going and it's not where they're headed, they move on to trying to acquire their next customer like nothing happened.  It's odd, but there's no hard feelings - just business!  That same 'ducta may show a polite and considerate side by stopping the bus and clearing room for a lady to grab a seat.  One time, I wondered whether Jamaicans get high blood pressure since it seems like they release so much energy in their daily interactions.  I don't know if there is really any connection between the two, but it was just a thought.  In any case, the way everyone interacts makes the city an even more vibrant and lively place to be.

I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but it seems like after Christmas ended and the New Year began, there is less tension on the streets.  People are at ease - less guarded, and more open.  Felt like around the Christmas time, the vendors, bus drivers, and taxi drivers were all trying extra hard to earn your money.  Now, while still lively, they aren't as aggressive.  Whether it's in my head or in reality, I suppose it doesn't matter too much.  The bottom line is that now I can enjoy more of my time here and appreciate some of what I may have missed before!  But still, I learned my lessons from before and am not going to explore South of my office or walk any back alleys.  

No comments:

Post a Comment